If you have an alcove, another kind of a nook, or are just keen on saving space, consider using a wall-mounted folding or drop-leaf table desk — for example, Bjursta from IKEA. This table takes up less space when folded away. If you have a couple of drawer units under your desktop, you want those items to have furniture risers under them.
You can test the waters with a simple setup like this! All they did was arrange a small floating desk and stool inside an existing closet, then hang a whiteboard on the wall. The closet still has its upper shelf and hanging rod, so if it doesn’t work out, the space can easily go back to storing clothes. One of the easiest ways to make your teeny office space stand out is with wallpaper, as showcased in this minimalistic cloffice. Both women say they were able to build their closet offices over a single weekend. And they are willing to share their tips so you can add a closed office in your home. Today I’m sharing how to turn a closet into an office nook, including an easy hack to create custom bookshelf built-ins above the desk.
Get A Desk With Plenty Of Storage
Draw out a calendar or a to-do list, or just let your imagination wander. Running shelves up the back of the closet is an easy and obvious solution. While you’re at it, though, consider adding a rail for hooks so you can hang pencil holders, pictures, or other items up and off your desk.
- There are a few preliminaries to get straight before you begin.
- Pick a narrow desk with slim drawers directly beneath the top for space-saving, easy-to-access storage.
- A closet isn’t supposed to be an office, so just because something isn’t supposed to be a desk doesn’t mean you can’t turn it into one.
- It was so fun hosting our guests – a group of precious gals …
- Washington, D.C.-based Realtor John Coleman often works with clients who are short on space and eager to maximize every inch of their homes.
Cloffice inspiration from David Land and Kritsada PanichgulAt the end of a workday, the closet door can be shut to separate the office from the living space. Depending on the kind of cloffice you opt for, it can also become a part of your room’s decor.
Workspace Tours Every Sunday
I strive to make my home a more stylish, organized, and creative place, while keeping things uncomplicated and budget-friendly. Here you will find DIY projects, seasonal decor and crafts, recipes, and organizing tricks. Lovely space management, I love that side wall with that pegboard. You certainly do make a good point about creativity. Turning a closet into an office does require some of it, as you share.
- Then you will be free to use the rest of the space to design your office getaway.
- Start by measuring the distance between the side walls.
- After a basic cloffice setup is done, it’s time to take a look at 21 practical ways you can enhance your workspace and make it personal.
- The white metal basket holds paint, Mod Podge, and a jar of colored pencils.
- Her husband, who works from home, also uses the space even though they have another office in the home.
The primary elements of her closet office are rooted in neutrals, but these touches add a splash of femininity to the space. In her New York City apartment, blogger Anna Page creatively made over a hall closet so that it could function as a private workspace for her husband. The addition of sleek metal wall shelves and a pop of sage green paint turned the nook into a welcoming spot in which to productively spend 9 to 5. Designing a walk-in closet office is more like designing a small room instead of a little office nook. Often, these big spaces have enough room to incorporate your office and your clothing storage together. A reach-in closet can be a great workspace as well.
Add Legs Or Risers To The Drawer Unit
Attach them to the ceiling of the closet or if there are shelves above the desk, stick the puck lights under it. These are bright lights and buying a couple of them should considerably cheer up the space. Feel free to use this simple DIY checklist as guidance to design a WFH closet office tailored to your taste.
If you plan on having a lot of cords, I would advise using a hole saw drill bit to cut a small, circular hole in one of the top corners. This will allow you to neatly run your cords all to one place, since you won’t be able to run anything behind the desk. One more thing you should consider when picking out your lattice moulding is thickness.
Building A Cloffice: How To Turn A Closet Into A Compact Home Office
But I thank social sharing for meeting people like Lisa. I founded Home with a Twist, a daughter’s twist on her mother’s traditions, in memory of my mother to celebrate her life and the gifts she shared with me. Mother loved to celebrate life’s occasions – big and small. Think of a zone for the paper items, another one for where the writing implements are, another one for the metallic items such as the paperclips, staples, and so on.
- What do you get when you combine a desk top from an outlet store, melamine boards from a former closet system, some paint, and a few other essentials?
- 𝗜’𝗺 𝗮 𝗽𝗿𝗼𝗳𝗲𝘀𝘀𝗶𝗼𝗻𝗮𝗹 𝗻𝗮𝗽𝗽𝗲𝗿.
- Twenty-five years ago I promised to love Doug and I thank God everyday He helped us find each other.
- Once you have those measurements, I would remove the desk from the closet.
The amount of each item you’ll need depends on how big your closet is, and how many shelves you want to add. My closet measures 53″ wide, and I needed four 12′ pieces of 1″x2″ select pine.
Create A Themed Cloffice
Have one person hold the board level and in place while the other uses the pocket hole screws and a drill to attach the shelf to the studs. Once the board has been secured to the wall, paint the inside of the pocket holes, including the screws! This hides the pocket hole attachments and gives the shelf that true floating look. While the wall is drying, cut and paint the 1×8 pine board to serve as a floating shelf at the top of the board & batten. You should already have the measurement of the longest wall from hanging the horizontal board, but don’t forget to account for the thickness of the lattice moulding. With good design, cabinet doors, floor-to-ceiling shelving, and accessories, you can consolidate your wardrobe into dedicated closet spaces and make room for a desk and chair. You can create a cozy, quiet nook to work in while your clothes are neatly tucked away.
- 1×8 Pine Board – This will be used as the floating shelf above the desk.
- But cabinet bases are the perfect heavy duty choice for a desk in your office.
- She explains that buyers are always checking for closet space — and the more, the better.
- “We have some special Italian books from family overseas, so it is nice to have a spot to display them,” she says.
- With this in mind, it would make sense to consolidate your actual clothes in a dedicated closet space and transform your walk-in closet into an office instead.
- Since we do not have any outlets inside the closet, we needed to run an extension cord from outside the closet to supply power.
Share my fondness of blending Mother’s mid-century style with a modern spin. Here are some of our favorite organizational tips to help you keep your comfortable work nook in check. Just because your office is in a closet doesn’t mean you have to skimp on stylish touches like sconces, shiplap, and an area rug. In fact, blogger Ashley Smith was able to incorporate all three of these elements and tucked away a filing cabinet, because #practicality. Whatever you do, don’t forget to utilize your walls.
Home Office In A Closet
A few droplets of oil can reduce stress and create a calming atmosphere in the cloffice. Opt for potted plants that stay alive without natural lighting. For example, the ZZ plant, or zamioculcas zamiifolia, adapts to low light levels. This way, you can easily access the convert closet to office items whenever you need them, without cluttering up your desktop. Think about the ways you can improve the existing lighting or if you would rather add more lighting fixtures. That’s why even in small spaces, an area designated for WFH leads to increased productivity.
We all deserve a secluded space away from the noise and bustle of the outside world, a designated locale in which to put our heads down and get to work. Sharing a home office can be quite challenging. The good news is that someone has already been there and worked out a solution. Designing your cloffice according to a theme or colour scheme can make the process way more enjoyable. Also, double-check https://remotemode.net/ that the mount you’re going to buy is able to support the weight of the monitor without its stand. The advantages of this solution are uncluttered, floating monitor look, flexible viewing angle and ease of installation — just make sure your monitors are VESA-compatible . Anything else would most likely break the space and make the workstation area appear too isolated from the rest of the house.
The materials we’ll include below are for a typical standard-sized 7 x 2 feet deep closet that will be turned into an office space. Feel free to go ahead and adjust your dimensions accordingly as you see fit.